River's We Miss

River's We Miss

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Made With Concentrate

Where I am right now is inside the Salt Lake City Library.
Tiny beads of raindrops form on the window to my left, while a young girl spins 'round and 'round in a swivel chair to my right. 
The sound the rain makes on the aluminum roof above, it reminds me of tens of thousands of soldiers marching. 
How I feel right now is vulnerable but optimistic. 
I have just changed my work schedule to having Thursdays and Fridays off. This is so I can go visit Ms. River every other week, on every other Thursday.
How I feel right now is naked. My phone is turned off and haven't been able to speak with Ms. River in almost 36 hours.
Every other minute, like the rain my eyes continue to fall but on my cell phone, watching for the message and waiting for the vibration to let me know my phone is back on.
The little girl in the swivel chair, her mother tells her to stop, tells the girl she might get sick if she continues on.
The only way I've been able to communicate with Ms. River is via E-mail. The response between the two of us has been few and far in between.
A cell phone plays a ringing sound and a young man who calls himself Nick answers the phone.
Nick has forgotten his password and wants the entire library to know how unsatisfied he is with a certain company's customer service.
My fingers pause over my keyboard as I try to concentrate on my next sentence.
Nick, apparently his mother's maiden name is Wiley. "Like the coyote!" He yells.
A blanket of "Shush's" fill the air around me.
There is a middle aged overweight male, resembling an Orson Wells(circa 1960's) look. He breathes heavily, looks at me and says, "You think he knows this is a library?"
The rain continues to march on the roof above me while Nick yells into his phone, "You say you want to know my zip code?"
What's  happening right now is the same thing that  happens when your in bed, late at night trying to sleep. The smallest of sounds sometimes, can be the loudest annoyance.
Right now Nick's voice, it sounds like a roller coaster on a fucking chalkboard.
Right now Nick tells everyone that his last log in date was sometime in "Juneish."  
Trying to concentrate right now, is just as hard as tying to concentrate on sleep while Ms. River runs through my mind. For the past few nights, instead of counting sheep, I count beautiful memories and the days it's been since I've seen her..
The time on my cell phone tells me right now, this very second, Ms. River is in class, probably running on no sleep and a pumpkin spice latte.
Nick tells his phone and everyone in the room that he'll "have to go get that." Whatever "that" is.
I close my eyes for a second, try to concentrate and push through but I can't.
My thoughts are watered down into a concentrate I can no longer concentrate on.
I close up my laptop, stand up and head out the door.
"Thank you!" Nick says into his phone.
No, thank you Nick, thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment